Lentil Soup with a Kick
Lentil Soup w/ Harissa
Wintertime is the perfect season for lentil soup. We've created a recipe that adds some heat with the addition of harissa.
- 1/4 c butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground corriander
- 1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- salt to taste
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a medium-size pot over low heat. Saute in the onions until transparent in color.
2. Add the carrots and celery and cook the mixture over medium heat. Stir for 5 minutes.
3. Add the cumin and coriander to the vegetable mixture.
4. Add tomatoes, water, salt, pepper and lentils. Bring soup to boil and then turn down to medium heat and cook, partially covered, for one hour. Stir occasionally.
Add more harissa until the soup is spicy enough for you. Enjoy!